There is a FREE Source for Digitized Classics - Project Gutenberg
1. Hover over the "WSPMS Library Catalog" tab on this website and out will pop three subtabs. Click on the middle tab is "Ebooks & More!"
2. Then, just click on the "Project Gutenberg" hyperlink.
Project Gutenberg offers over 57,000 free eBooks. Choose among free epub books, free kindle books, download them or read them online. You will find the world's great literature here, with focus on older works for which copyright has expired. Thousands of volunteers digitized and diligently proofread the eBooks, for enjoyment and education. (from the website)
Three Easy Steps to Download to your Chromebook
(Download at school and read without any Internet needed)
- On "Ebooks & More" page, click on Project Gutenberg.
- In left margin, click on "Browse Catalog."
- Browse by "Author" or "Title" to find a book you would like to read.
- Click on the title with a book icon to continue to the text, or a speaker icon to continue to the audio of the book. Both can be accessed while online OR downloaded for listening/reading offline (without the Internet).
- For text: You will choose one of the EPUB files, there are some options with images or without images. Click on the one you want. Then select where you want the file to download. You may use the "Downloads" file in your Chromebook OR your Google Drive in a folder you'll add and might call "EBOOKS."
- For audio: The "Readme" file will tell you about the recording, the "Audio Book Index" is like a table of contents with a link to each chapter. The quality varies with these recorded books but they could work for the purpose of reading along with the text. Hint: the MP3 files work well on Chromebooks.